Recent events in the USA have put a much needed spotlight on global racial injustice, and shown that ethnicity can literally be a matter of life and death. We at UNITED in Hammersmith & Fulham have set out a series of actions to play a stronger part in eliminating inequality and prejudice every day.
Our organisation was created with the very intention of building a fairer society, and so we consider ourselves as allies, standing with those who are leading global and local campaigns to ensure black and other minority voices are respected, represented, and taken into account globally.
We acknowledge, however, that we are not yet an internally diverse organisation and that it’s time change this to better uphold the values we promote. That is why, with immediate effect, we are working on concrete actions to build equality, diversity and inclusion into all levels of our operations.
Today, we have begun the process of welcoming applications across all levels of UNITED in Hammersmith & Fulham, with a focus on encouraging black and other minority communities to apply at whatever level of they feel resonates with their experience and/or aspirations*:
- Volunteer Patrons (open to nominations)
- Volunteer Trustees (currently hiring)
- Paid Community Grants Officer (currently hiring)
- Paid Community Grants Panel (hiring Autumn/Winter 2020)
Alongside this drive to shake up our internal make-up, we will continue to reflect on how we are presented to our communities, and how well diversity and gaps are addressed in our campaigns and partnerships. This includes effective design and implementation to ensure:
- Communities holds the information needed to make effective decisions
- Prioritising targeting funding to address disparities including race inequality
- Ensuring our application processes are truly accessible, especially for black and other minority-led micro and small organisations
- Regular monitoring, and publishing publicly available data, on our reach
Meanwhile we call for anyone in Hammersmith & Fulham to join us and leave a legacy for a more just and fair society for all, and not let these momentous times pass us by.
Because better neighbours really do make better neighbourhoods.
Kevin McGrath DL OBE – Chair
Savraj Kaur – Executive Director
*Anyone interested in the above roles can arrange a chat with Sandy at Moon Recruitment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘UNITED in Hammersmith & Fulham: [Your Name]. Thank you!